Thursday, May 5, 2011

Helicopter Parents

As someone who works in a school environment I've become very familiar with 'Helicopter Parents'. I can spot them a mile off .My hackles start to rise when i'm talking to them and I feel a great sense of unease for the children within that family. Sometimes I catch myself thinking about helping the child find fantastic spots to hide from their parents in or teaching them some kind of extreme sport that would make their super safety conscious parent hyperventalate. You may think that this is all a bit dramatic and I admit that it is, but if you've ever really, truly come into the grasp of the well intended yet smothering worry of a helicopter parent you wouldn't mind my rebellion so much.

For those of you who don't know what a Helicopter parent is, i've kindly detailed their most famous attributes.

Looks Like:      -Can often be found in a cold sweat or with a self induced worry rash.
                          -Their eyes will be perpetually scanning to pinpoint the exact wherabouts of their children.
                          - Often doing embarressing things to teenage sons/daughters such as holding hands or
                           wiping muck of their face with spit and a tissue.
                          -Will be the ones still picking up their kid in yr12 and going on all the school trips
Sounds Like:    -They are right. Helicopter parents never believe they have anything to learn, they are
                           experts at raising children.
                          -Prepare to hear gasps and worried shrieks and don't be alarmed if you hear comments like
                           'when I was flipping through my daughters diary'.
Feels Like:      - Smothering. You will feel the sudden need to either depart, inflict some kind of pain or tell
                           them to be quiet.
                         -Did I say smothering?

No comments:

Post a Comment